Vintage, Handheld Bearing Compass, English, Oak, Maritime, Navigation, Sestrel
Our Stock # 18.6345
This is a vintage hand-held bearing compass. An English, oak, marine navigation aid with Sestrel dial, dating to the mid 20th century circa 1950.
- A fascinating maritime set
- Displays a desirable aged patina
- Oak handle and walnut deck box show fine grain interest
- Original glass in good order throughout
- Compass displays cardinal and inter-cardinal points
- North marked with the Sestrel logotype – a trademark of Henry Browne & Son
- Built-in sight with optical prism magnifies bearing for ease of use
- Bezel engraved with supplying chandler – Capt. O. M. Watts of London
- Oak handle complete with unmarked compass card
- In period the compass could be illuminated for night time use
- Screw-cap bottom reveals the dry cell battery compartment – battery absent
- Teak box crafted with compass viewing window and brass loop handle
This is a fantastic vintage compass set, perfectly suited to pleasure yachting or as an interesting desk ornament for those who yearn for the sea. Delivered waxed, polished and ready for the home or top deck.
Max Width: 11cm (4.25'')
Max Depth: 11cm (4.25'')
Max Height: 25.5cm (10'')
Box Width: 14.5cm (5.75'')
Box Depth: 15.5cm (6'')
Box Height: 34.5cm (13.5'')
Share this Product
We ship to the U.K. and internationally every week. We hand deliver most of our U.K. orders. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
Internationally, our price includes our specialist packing service and all pre-shipment paperwork. We ship with all the major carriers; FedEx, UPS, DHL etc and shipments are fully tracked and insured. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
USA & Canada
Rest of the World