Pair of Antique Glastonbury Chairs, English, Tudor Revival, Carved Hall, c1900
Our Stock # 10.1723
This is a pair of antique Glastonbury chairs, English Tudor Revival carved hall seats dating to the early 20th century, c.1900.
- A fine pair of Glastonbury chairs faithful to their origins
- Exhibiting ecclesiastical and gothic overtones
- Classic tusked joints – the 'keys' of wood were designed to be removed to simply disassemble the chair for transportation
- Ebonised offering a soft, mellow finish
- Highlighted with well executed carvings of Latin inscription
- The backrests decorated with relief carved roundells
- Shaped armrests and chip carved crest rail
- Raised on 'X' frame legs united by centrepoint stretcher
A desirable pair of chairs with solid joints and construction, delivered waxed, polished and ready for the home.
Max Width: 69cm (27.25'')
Max Depth: 48.5cm (19'')
Max Height: 84cm (33'')
Seat Width: 45.5cm (18'')
Seat Depth: 38cm (15'')
Seat Height: 43cm (17'')
The eponymous Glastonbury chair has been made for centuries, usually in oak and following a design thought to have first been made for Richard Whiting (1461 – 15 November 1539), an English clergyman and the last Abbot of Glastonbury.
Share this Product
We ship to the U.K. and internationally every week. We hand deliver most of our U.K. orders. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
Internationally, our price includes our specialist packing service and all pre-shipment paperwork. We ship with all the major carriers; FedEx, UPS, DHL etc and shipments are fully tracked and insured. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
USA & Canada
Rest of the World