Antique Ships Bookcase Victorian Satinwood Display Cabinet Nautical Marine C1865
Our Stock # 18.5132
This is an antique ship's bookcase, a Victorian satinwood display cabinet of nautical, maritime interest dating to circa 1865.
- In desirable satinwood and of generous proportion rising from a continuous plinth base
- Well figured with a lustrous wax polished finish
- Arranged as a pair of glazed cabinet doors flanking a central cupboard
- Interesting centre door with field panels displaying carved detail & inscription
- Fine relief carving of the cartouche and coat of arms bearing the 'Zealous' name
- Featuring a dove, anchor and other naval symbology present
- Three adjustable shelves to glazed cabinets with two shelves fitted in the cupboard
- Cross division to the flanking doors with mahogany bead rail and floral carved centre
- Dressed with later turn catches with drop pulls
A pleasing Victorian period bookcase cabinet presented in good antique condition. Solid joints and construction, delivered waxed, polished and ready for the home.
Max Width: 187cm (73.5'')
Max Depth: 33cm (13'')
Max Height: 107cm (42.25'')
We assign this cabinet to, perhaps, HMS Zealous, launched in 1864 and decommissioned in 1875. She was laid down as a wooden, two deck, 90 gun ship by Pembroke Royal Dockyard in the United Kingdom. Later converted and cut down a deck to become a steam powered, armoured frigate with ship set sails. Sailing to Esquimalt, headquarters of the Pacific Station, in 1867 she was to be the flagship to match the French deployment – the only British 'ironclad' to sail further than the Mediterranean. Returning in 1873 she was refitted and became Southampton's guard ship for two years until paid off.
Share this Product
We ship to the U.K. and internationally every week. We hand deliver most of our U.K. orders. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
Internationally, our price includes our specialist packing service and all pre-shipment paperwork. We ship with all the major carriers; FedEx, UPS, DHL etc and shipments are fully tracked and insured. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
USA & Canada
Rest of the World