Antique Napoleon III Side Table, French, Etagere, Burr Walnut, Sewing, C.1870
Our Stock # 18.7020
This is an antique Napoleon III side table. A French, ebonised mahogany and burr walnut etagere or sewing table, dating to the late 19th century, circa 1870.
- Exquisite craftsmanship a hallmark of the Napoleon III taste
- Displaying a desirable aged patina, free of loss or marks
- Ebonised mahogany of deep black finish, accentuated by borders of rich burr walnut
- Original mirror plate to interior offers a desirable light foxing
- The lid graced with a wonderfully ornate boxwood inlay of scrolled foliate motif, within a broad diamond lozenge
- Gilt ormolu trim dresses the lid edge with a chased rope-braid pattern in light golden tones
- Opens to reveal an oval mirror with gilt border set within a mahogany ground
- Large central compartment framed by two, smaller demi-lune receptacles
- Apron presents burr walnut with inset ebonised frieze, the front finished with an ornate lock escutcheon — key absent
- Lower ormolu band of leaf motif pattern repeats within the reeded, gilt support flourishes
- Usefully sized gallery lower, with walnut border and central inlaid lozenge
- Standing upon turned spade feet with ring-turned baluster forms
This is a superb antique Napoleon III side table, with rich, deep colouration and fine figuring. An expression of period French craftsmanship, this small table will grace any entrance hall or living room. Solid joints and construction, delivered waxed, polished and ready to enjoy.
Max Width: 56cm (22'')
Max Depth: 35cm (13.75'')
Max Height: 78.5cm (31'')
Lower Tier Width: 53cm (20.75'')
Lower Tier Depth: 33cm (13'')
Lower Tier Height: 46cm (18'')
Share this Product
We ship to the U.K. and internationally every week. We hand deliver most of our U.K. orders. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
Internationally, our price includes our specialist packing service and all pre-shipment paperwork. We ship with all the major carriers; FedEx, UPS, DHL etc and shipments are fully tracked and insured. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
USA & Canada
Rest of the World