Antique Maritime Sextant, Brass, Admiralty, Naval, Instrument, Victorian, C.1900
Our Stock # 18.6514
This is an antique maritime sextant. An English, brass admiralty three circle naval instrument, by J.Coombes of Devonport, dating to the Victorian period, circa 1900.
- Appealing Victorian scientific instrument
- Displays a desirable aged patina
- Brass shows sought after weathering and great patination
- Mahogany box in good order with fine grain interest
- Radius sextant moves around its arc to aid navigation
- Vernier adjustment with pleasingly knurled edges
- Folding UV filters to protect against daytime sunlight
- Broad mahogany handle to base for a secure grip in all weathers
- Inscribed 'J.Coombes. Opticians & Admiralty Agent, Devonport'
- Carry case dressed with fascinating rotating latches
- Supplied with three original viewing scopes
- Some wear to the legend and evidence of a post repair
- Reseller's label to interior reads 'George Lee & Son, Portsmouth
This antique maritime sextant is an interesting example of Victorian naval instrument manufacture, with appealing brass construction and mechanical detail. Ideal for an office desk or as a display piece for those of a maritime background. Delivered waxed, polished and ready for the home.
Max Width: 24.5cm (9.75'')
Max Depth: 22.5cm (8.75'')
Max Height: 10cm (4'')
Box Width: 27cm (10.75'')
Box Depth: 26cm (10.25'')
Box Height: 12.5cm (5'')
Share this Product
We ship to the U.K. and internationally every week. We hand deliver most of our U.K. orders. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
Internationally, our price includes our specialist packing service and all pre-shipment paperwork. We ship with all the major carriers; FedEx, UPS, DHL etc and shipments are fully tracked and insured. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
USA & Canada
Rest of the World