Antique Locking Tantalus, English, Oak, Glass, Decanter Case, Edwardian, C.1910
Our Stock # 18.8468
This is an antique locking tantalus. An English, oak and cut glass decanter case, dating to the Edwardian period, circa 1910.
- Useful and attractive tantalus with decorative appeal
- Displays a desirable aged patina throughout
- Oak case shows fine grain interest with wisps of medullary rays
- Cut glass decanters presented in very good order
- Decanters held securely behind a drop-front fascia and resting on original, aged velvet pads
- Circular, working lock secures access to the decanters — key present
- Shaped stile ends decorated with silver plated brightwork
- Plinth base with attractive bracing in the Gothic revival taste
- Trio of superb decanters with cut glass decorative finish and eye-catching faceted stoppers
- Named for the character in Greek mythology, Tantalus
- The locking tantalus is an allegory for the inability to satisfy temptations
- Ideally suited for the displaying of fine spirits without unsolicited access
This is a fascinating and highly appealing antique locking tantalus with three quality decanters. Displayed within wonderfully figured oak offering great colour and medullary rays. A fine addition to a Gentleman's lounge and sure to be a conversation piece. Delivered waxed, polished and ready to enjoy.
Max Width: 36cm (14.25'')
Max Depth: 13cm (5'')
Max Height: 33.5cm (13.25'')
Share this Product
We ship to the U.K. and internationally every week. We hand deliver most of our U.K. orders. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
Internationally, our price includes our specialist packing service and all pre-shipment paperwork. We ship with all the major carriers; FedEx, UPS, DHL etc and shipments are fully tracked and insured. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
USA & Canada
Rest of the World