Antique Hydrometer, English, Scientific Instrument, Distiller, Loftus, London
Our Stock # 18.6667
This is an antique hydrometer. An English, brass scientific instrument for distillers and brewers by Loftus of London, dating the late 19th century, circa 1900.
- Superb set with matching numbers
- Displays a desirable aged patina
- Brass hydrometer and weights in good order
- Mahogany box with decorative inlay finished with quality baize lining and vibrant silk to lid
- Measures the level of alcohol within a liquid in accordance with the Sikes Hydrometer Act
- The act was in force between 1816 and 1907
- An essential tool in period for Brewers, Distillers and revenue collectors alike
- This example by WR Loftus of London
- The engraved hydrometer scale also bears the serial number and address of Loftus
- Each measuring weight with matching serial number of 11937 — with Loftus to the reverse
- Rare, bone proof rule engraved to its edge with 'Loftus Maker, 146 Oxford St. London'
- The carry case with inset enamel plaque with further company markings
This is a fascinating antique hydrometer, vital in period for the measurement of alcohol by volume for distillers and officials alike. Delivered waxed, polished and ready for display.
Max Width: 25cm (9.75'')
Max Depth: 10.5cm (4.25'')
Max Height: 5cm (2'')
Share this Product
We ship to the U.K. and internationally every week. We hand deliver most of our U.K. orders. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
Internationally, our price includes our specialist packing service and all pre-shipment paperwork. We ship with all the major carriers; FedEx, UPS, DHL etc and shipments are fully tracked and insured. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
USA & Canada
Rest of the World