Antique Explorer's Portmanteau, English, Canvas, Travel, Trunk, Chest, Victorian
Our Stock # 18.6433
This is an antique explorer's portmanteau. An English, canvas travel trunk or coat chest dating to the early Victorian period, circa 1850.
- A superb, fascinating early Victorian piece
- Displays a desirable aged patina
- Quality canvas finish in good original order
- Brass bound frame for superior stability — perfect for touring
- Stout lid opens at three-quarter point on inset hinges
- Brass clasp with working lock and square backing plate — key present
- Dressed with drop handles on riveted iron backing plates
- Interior decorated with lining paper featuring a continuous star pattern
- Hand painted decoration on the lid from time spent in Madras
- Front featuring the initials JP and 2, with a label for Peninsula & Oriental Steam Navigation Co.
- Label to side shows passage from Bombay to London on the P & O.S.N. Co. line
- Bright green maker's label inside for J. Powell of London — makers and repairers of trunks
This is a delightful antique portmanteau, with appealing three-quarter lid. Solid joints and construction, delivered ready for the home.
Max Width: 72cm (28.25'')
Max Depth: 41cm (16.25'')
Max Height: 40.5cm (16'')
Share this Product
We ship to the U.K. and internationally every week. We hand deliver most of our U.K. orders. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
Internationally, our price includes our specialist packing service and all pre-shipment paperwork. We ship with all the major carriers; FedEx, UPS, DHL etc and shipments are fully tracked and insured. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
USA & Canada
Rest of the World