Antique Correspondence Box, English, Leather Cabinet, Houghton & Gunn, Victorian
Our Stock # 18.8041
This is an antique correspondence box. An English, leather bound sarcophagus cabinet with secret compartment, attributed to Houghton and Gunn of London, dating to the Victorian period, circa 1870.
- Quality gentleman's stationery box with fascinating concealed compartment
- Displays a desirable aged patina throughout
- Leather bound with contrasted crimson over black hues
- Pleasingly aged, commensurate with age and use
- Sarcophagus top with hidden compartment, accessed by blind push mechanism
- Pair of opening doors with working twist latch lock mechanism — untested, key absent
- Arranged as a suite of five drawers, two over three of graduated type
- Flush drop handles sit within shaped backplates
- Dashing recessed carry handles to each side with near oval plates
- Stands upon a prominent tapered plinth base
- Unmarked as such, but bears strong hallmarks of Houghton & Gunn of London
- Renowned for leather goods and boxes, based on Bond Street and later bought out by Asprey in 1906
This is a superb antique correspondence box, with fascinating leather finish and a concealed compartment. Delivered polished and ready to display.
Max Width: 43.5cm (17.25'')
Max Depth: 30.5cm (12'')
Max Height: 46cm (18'')
Secret Compartment Width: 19.5cm (7.75'')
Secret Compartment Depth: 8.5cm (3.25'')
Secret Compartment Height: 5cm (2'')
Largest Drawer Width: 35cm (13.75'')
Largest Drawer Depth: 20.5cm (8'')
Largest Drawer Height: 9cm (3.5'')
Share this Product
We ship to the U.K. and internationally every week. We hand deliver most of our U.K. orders. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
Internationally, our price includes our specialist packing service and all pre-shipment paperwork. We ship with all the major carriers; FedEx, UPS, DHL etc and shipments are fully tracked and insured. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
USA & Canada
Rest of the World