2 Antique Sporting Books, English, Fly Fishing, Hawker's Young Sportsmen, 19th.C
Our Stock # 18.9717
This is a set of two antique books of sporting interest. An English, hard bound copy of Haddon Hall's Fly Fishing and Instructions to Young Sportsmen in All That Relates to Guns & Shooting, published in the late Victorian and William IV period respectively.
Sir Edward Grey, 1st Viscount of Grey Fallodon (1862 - 1933) was a former British Foreign Secretary and ambassador, prominent during the First World War, and writer of one of the most popular books on the subject of fly fishing to be committed to print. A late Victorian publication, The Haddon Hall Library was a series of 9 volumes dedicated to popular sporting pursuits of the time. Published by J.M. Dent & Co in the years 1899-1903, the titles were edited by George A.B. Dewar and the Marquis of Granby.
- Presented in antique, timeworn condition - intact but with some coloration to pages
- Hard bound in green cotton with gold titling and detailing
- Second edition, but in the same finish as the first publishing
- Frontispiece and plates protected with tissue paper inserts
- Illustrated throughout with chapter headers and tailpieces
Considered as one of the great shots of the 19th century, Colonel Peter Hawker (1786 - 1853) formerly of The Royal Dragoons was best known as an author of sporting pursuits. Published up until the 1970s, his work presented here - Instructions to Young Sportsmen in All That Relates to Guns & Shooting - is an 1830 edition, dedicated to the newly crowned King William IV.
- Timeworn antique condition, intact with some coloration to pages
- Hard bound with marbled paper and leathered spine
- Frontispiece opposite the title page, dated to 1830
- Chronicles the popular guns and gunmakers at the end of the Regency period
- Graced with fascinating illustrative plates throughout
This is a charming set of two antique books of sporting interest, with titles published at the beginning of the William IV period and late Victorian era respectively. Ideal for the collector or lover of country pursuits. Delivered ready to enjoy.
Haddon Fly Fishing Width: 15cm (6'')
Haddon Fly Fishing Depth: 3.5cm (1.5'')
Haddon Fly Fishing Height: 20.5cm (8'')
Hawker on Shooting Width: 15cm (6'')
Hawker on Shooting Depth: 3cm (1.25'')
Hawker on Shooting Height: 22cm (8.75'')
Share this Product
We ship to the U.K. and internationally every week. We hand deliver most of our U.K. orders. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
Internationally, our price includes our specialist packing service and all pre-shipment paperwork. We ship with all the major carriers; FedEx, UPS, DHL etc and shipments are fully tracked and insured. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
USA & Canada
Rest of the World