A long established Bavarian concern, Clemens Riefler founded the company that bears his name following completion of his apprenticeship in 1841, in a village by the name of Maria-Rain.
Upon his death in 1876, his three children - Sigmund, Adolf & Theodor - succeeded him. The ‘round system’ for which their drawing instruments are known by, was patented by Sigmund Riefler in 1877.
Towards the tail-end of the 19th century when a patent had expired, copies began to enter the market, which saw the advent of the compass within drawing sets bear an engraving of the company name. It was in this period the company moved to Nesselwang, and then later to Munich, to be closer to the scientific community.
Besides drawing instruments, the company also specialised in clocks, which were regarded as the highest standard of time keeping in the early 20th century.
© London Fine Ltd, 2016
No part of this web site text may be modified or changed or exploited in any way used for derivative works, or offered for sale, or used to construct any kind of database or mirrored at any other location without the express written permission of the author.