Holland and Sons, London
Holland & Sons, London 1803-1942
One of the finest names in cabinet making from 1803 to 1942. The Victoria and Albert museum are currently in possession of the firms daybooks that detail an extraordinary client list of high society, worthy of a firm that were granted a Royal Warrant of Appointment early in the reign of Queen Victoria and who went on to exhibit in major exhibitions in London, Paris and Vienna.
The firm was originally founded in 1803 by William Holland and Stephen Taprell with commissions to furnish the Anthenaeum Club in London between 1824-38. Following Taprell's retirement in 1843 the firm became known as Holland & Sons and worked alongside Thomas Dowbiggin at Osboune House and were to later take over their premises at 23 Mount Street in 1853. At this time the firm had grown to such a size it employed 351 people, including some of England's foremost designers winning a prize for a bookcase at the Great Exhibition of 1851.
Such was the high regard for this firm that they were appointed in the decoration and furnishing of the Royal residences of Windsor Castle, Sandringham, Balmoral and Marlborough, as well as producing many hundred furniture commissions for the British Government at the Palace of Westminster, Victoria and Albert Museum and oversaw the State funeral of Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington to name but a few.
The firm continued to trade right up until fashions and, therefore, demand changed in the 1940s.
© London Fine Ltd, 2018
No part of this web site text may be modified or changed or exploited in any way used for derivative works, or offered for sale, or used to construct any kind of database or mirrored at any other location without the express written permission of the author.