The story for Henry Loveridge starts in the mid-19th century whilst he was partnered as a young man by a William Shoolbread, a Scotsman who relocated to Wolverhampton in the West Midlands. Shoolbread began as a retail tailor in the city, but chanced upon an opportunity to purchase a Japanning factory, albeit one to be removed from its premises. Upon finding a new site on the outskirts of the town, a factory was built over a period of 8 years. Tin plate wares had appeared to have taken prominence for the company by the mid 1850s, which is the specialty Henry Loveridge continued upon Shoolbread’s retirement in 1860.
Now trading as Henry Loveridge & Co, the Japanning and tin wares erred more on the side of utility than artistry, although they did have a resident creative by the name of Richard Stubbs for decorative pieces. Usually unmarked, the Japanned items never-the-less supported the company’s reputation in the area. The tin items would be stamped with a circular ‘registered trade mark’ roundel with the stylised HL motif to its centre. Henry died in 1892 and the company ceased trading in 1927, under the custodianship of a relative by the name of Samuel Loveridge, whose interest waned and investment dried up.
© London Fine Ltd, 2016
No part of this web site text may be modified or changed or exploited in any way used for derivative works, or offered for sale, or used to construct any kind of database or mirrored at any other location without the express written permission of the author.