E Lennie Edinburgh
E. Lennie, Edinburgh was a Scottish Optician and Instrument Maker
(1840 - 1971)
J. Lennie was founded in 1840 by James Lennie who was a member of the Photographic Society of Scotland and the Edinburgh Photographic Society. The firm were listed periodically as opticians, dealer in hardware, jewellers and perfumer.
The family firm operated originally from 14 Leith Street until 1857 when they moved premises to 46 Princes Street, Edinburgh – opposite the Scott Monument. Here, trading under the name E. Lennie, after Mrs Eliza Lennie who was James' widow, the business is listed as optician, manufacturer of photographic apparatus, eyeglass maker and spectacle maker.
The firm appears to be handed down the generations moving to 5 Castle Street in 1954 and then being incorporated by J Turnbull & Co and moving again to 56 George Street in 1959 until 1971.
© London Fine Ltd, 2016
No part of this web site text may be modified or changed or exploited in any way used for derivative works, or offered for sale, or used to construct any kind of database or mirrored at any other location without the express written permission of the author.