Broadhurst Clarkson & Co. London
Broadhurst Clarkson & Co., Telescope House, 63 Farringdon Road, EC1, London
In 1750 Benjamin Martin established an instrument business with his son Joshua joining him in 1778. Joshua went on to patent a method for manufacturing brass tubing in 1782, the same year the firm was sold to Charles Tulley. The Tulley family ran the business through to 1844 when it was sold to Robert Mills who, in turn, sold on to Alexander Clarkson in 1873.
Broadhurst became a partner in the business in 1892 but had a falling out with Clarkson resulting in the partnership splitting in 1908. Broadhurst promptly moved to 63 Farringdon Road and named the building Telescope House.
In a shrewd move, Broadhurst realised the value of the good Clarkson name and began trading as Broadhurst Clarkson & Co. In house, the firm were able to produce both the lenses and the brass tubes (using Joshua Martin's patented machine). They also operated a showroom and shop on site.
With the advent of the First World War in 1914, the business expanded to support the war effort, opening a second lens making facility in London supported by a telescope factory in Watford.
After the war the business went from strength to strength for a few decades before a steady decline through the '50s and '60s when, by the end of the decade, the business had receded back into Telescope House, closing all other factories.
A gentleman named Dudley Fuller acquired the firm in 1973 renaming it Broadhurst Clarkson and Fuller who have gone on to represent Meade Instruments and supply an extensive dealership network in the U.K.
© London Fine Ltd, 2018
No part of this web site text may be modified or changed or exploited in any way used for derivative works, or offered for sale, or used to construct any kind of database or mirrored at any other location without the express written permission of the author.