Vintage Ship's Binnacle Compass, English, Brass, Maritime, Navigation Aid, 1920
Our Stock # 18.7272
This is a superb vintage ship's binnacle compass. An English, polished brass maritime navigation aid, dating to the early 20th century, circa 1920.
- Of superior finish and museum showcase quality
- Displaying a desirable aged patina with minimal tarnish or marks
- Highly polished brass presents a reflective shine and rich golden tones
- Porthole glass in very good original order, offers clear, bright viewing of the compass
- Dome hood slides to the unlocked position for viewing the dial within
- 2-axis gimbal keeps an even level in rougher seas
- Fluid-filled compass marked with Lilley & Reynolds of London
- Displays cardinal and intercardinal points, north represented by a Lilley & Reynolds mark
- Opening door to the side would hold a tea light in period for dial illumination
- Pattern. 1151A Compass engraved to rim and square plaque to the body
- Matched serial number to plaque and compass rim - No.3137 K
- Small tear to compass disc can be observed under close inspection at the south west position - does not affect function
This is a splendid and highly decorative vintage ship's compass. Beautiful appearance and of useful scientific interest, this example presents wonderfully with its polished finish. Delivered polished and ready for the home or institution.
Max Width: 27cm (10.75'')
Max Depth: 21cm (8.25'')
Max Height: 26.5cm (10.5'')
Share this Product
We ship to the U.K. and internationally every week. We hand deliver most of our U.K. orders. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
Internationally, our price includes our specialist packing service and all pre-shipment paperwork. We ship with all the major carriers; FedEx, UPS, DHL etc and shipments are fully tracked and insured. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
USA & Canada
Rest of the World