Antique Merchant's Writing Slope, English, Leather, Correspondence Box, C.1890
Our Stock # 18.7418
This is an antique merchant's writing slope. An English, leather bound correspondence box, dating to the late 19th century, circa 1890.
- Fascinating, leather bound London merchant's writing box
- Displaying a desirable aged patina and in good order
- Dressed in black leather, bound and embossed with pleasing detail
- Stationery trays within ideal for the travelling writer
- Scrolled foliate motif embossed to the lid and front fascia
- Diamond shield escutcheon to front with working, inset lock — key present
- The lid opens smoothly upon a brass hinge to reveal the leather writing slope and storage trays opposite
- Slope lid opens to reveal document storage by way of a small sliding clasp
- Stationery tray offers two ink well squares above a lidded pen tray and two open trays to sides
- The whole removable to offer further hidden storage beneath
- Maker's mark to the slope reverse reads 'Halstaff and Hannaford, 228 Regent Street'
This is a delightful antique merchant's writing slope. Leather bound and in very good order, this correspondence box is as useful today as it was over 100 years ago. Delivered polished and ready to enjoy.
Max Width: 30cm (11.75'')
Max Depth: 24cm (9.5'')
Max Height: 9.5cm (3.75'')
Extended Width: 30cm (11.75'')
Extended Depth: 50cm (19.75'')
Extended Height: 6cm (2.25'')
Share this Product
We ship to the U.K. and internationally every week. We hand deliver most of our U.K. orders. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
Internationally, our price includes our specialist packing service and all pre-shipment paperwork. We ship with all the major carriers; FedEx, UPS, DHL etc and shipments are fully tracked and insured. Deliveries take approximately ten to fifteen working days to arrive at your door from receipt of order.
USA & Canada
Rest of the World